Big 12 Roundup Week 8: Middle of the Conference Starting to Shape Out
This past weeks Big 12 slate started off with a bang as we had West Virginia and Houston battling it out on Friday night. The last 30 seconds were insane as the Mountaineers scored a touchdown to take the lead late, but Houston came through with a miraculous Hail Mary play to steal one.
On Saturday, Kansas and Oklahoma State had a battle that saw the Cowboys score 12 points in the fourth quarter to win 39-32. Iowa State, TCU and Kansas State each had emphatic wins to
- Oklahoma- Off last weekend, but have the chance to continue to roll through the conference as they welcome UCF to Norman.
- Texas- Also off last weekend, will be looking to take out their frustrations from the Red River Rivalry against Houston.
- Iowa State- The most shocking positive team in the Big 12 this year. Play in a lot of close games and were blown out by OU, but have a chance to dominate Baylor and setup a good matchup against Kansas next weekend.
- Oklahoma State- The perception on this team would be so different had they not been blown out by South Alabama. They have looked solid in conference play even in their one loss against ISU.
- West Virginia- Have a chance to rebound against a good Oklahoma State team after that tough loss last weekend.
- TCU- The most shocking negative team this season, but they are above .500 and took care of business against my favorite newcomer in BYU.
- Kansas State- Dominated Tech with their QB run game, and may have found an identity with that which could help them moving forward.
- Kansas- Unfortunate end of the game against Oklahoma State. Jalon Daniels being injured is unfortunate but he should be back soon, and Jason Bean plays really well as his replacement.
- BYU- My dark horse to at least compete in the Big 12 suffered a bad loss against TCU and will look to rebound this weekend against Texas Tech which should be a shootout.
- Texas Tech- Offensive play-calling was again the issue as the Red Raiders didn’t lean on the run game like they should’ve and lost a game they could’ve won even with their QB3 in the game. Will look to rebound against BYU.
- Houston- That West Virginia win could be what they use to turn this season around and finish with a bowl game. Tough matchup against Texas this weekend who is angry coming off of that RRR loss.
- Cincinatti- Losers of four straight including three conference games, they have a chance at their first win in the Big 12 against Baylor.
- Baylor- Coming off of the bye week, the Bears have an opportunity to get a win against another bad team in Cincy.
- UCF- Unfortunate how they got off to a hot start but Big 12 play has gotten the best of them so far.