Big 12 Power Rankings: Oklahoma Separates Themselves
After a snooze fest last season with Dillon Gabriel missing the Red River Rivalry which lead to a beatdown by Texas, this year was one for the ages as Gabriel came back with a vengeance and lead a game winning drive to beat the Longhorns. This put Oklahoma by themselves at the top of the conference and showed just how complete of a team the Sooners could be this season.
K-State and Oklahoma State kicked things off on Friday with a back and forth battle that saw defenses making key plays when it mattered most, especially the Cowboys. We all know that Texas Tech handled business against Baylor with an impressive display on the ground by Tahj Brooks. Kansas and Iowa State handled business in their games as well, with four teams having a week off.
These rankings are updated as of Friday, October 13th after the stunning victory by the Houston Cougars in a crazy game against West Virginia.
- Oklahoma- The class of the Big 12 right now. Dillon Gabriel is forreal and this offense is explosive. The defense has shown up too and makes key plays when they need it, the perfect recipe for a playoff run.
- Texas- Still alive for the postseason, they played hard and could’ve easily won this game but mistakes finally caught up to them.
- Kansas- A tough team that has all the tools to compete at the top of the Big 12.
- BYU- My dark horse for a Big 12 run fought hard against Kansas. Should be able to beat up on the lower class teams and will give the better teams a fight with their offense. Losing pretty bad to TCU right now at half.
- West Virginia- Lost a heartbreaker to Houston, could’ve easily won this game but a Hail Mary to lose the game is tough.
- Texas Tech- After an abysmal start to the season, the Red Raiders are 2-1 in the conference and have a chance to make a statement against Kansas State.
- Iowa State- Just won against Cincy but will be updated in next weeks rankings. This team has shocked me this year and might continue to.
- Oklahoma State- A tough squad with a former Tech quarterback at the helm. Has a big game with Kansas today that could show a lot about this team.
- Kansas State- Sort of a step back from their Big 12 Championship team from last year. Still a tough squad that needs a win against Tech today.
- TCU- Fallen off hard after losing in the National Championship game. Is annihilating BYU right now at the half and looking to even their Big 12 record.
- Houston- Not that same feisty Houston team from a few years ago, but pulled off a huge victory against a potential dark horse in West Virginia.
- Cincinatti- Not adjusting well to Big 12 play early on, but it will take some time.
- Baylor- Besides running game they haven’t shown much and are disappointing to say the least.
- UCF- After a hot start to the season, injuries have derailed this team and could prove costly in their first season in the new conference.