Knee Jerk Reactions to the Steelers Week 10 win over the Packers
The idiom “a knee jerk reaction” means that you respond to something in an equally unthinking way. That’s something as sports fans that we typically do, and if it’s in an unthinking way then I definitely qualify. Knee jerks apply especially if you are a full blood Yinzer, or even just a part Yinzer, who am I fooling it’s more like if you are a Steeler fan in general. As is the custom, I compile my knee-jerk thoughts and publish them immediately after each Steelers game (my son Kyle might have a few things to say as well). It’s my version of running my mouth first and apologizing later (if at all). So with that being said, it’s time to react to the Steelers Week 10 matchup against the Packers. Let’s get this going, HERE……WE……GO!!!
- Steelers receive the opening kickoff.
- Second play of the game the Steelers get the ball to George Pickens. I’m sure that was by design. He picks up a first down, so no 3 & out to start.
- On 3rd & 3 Diontae draws the flag. Drive continues.
- Steelers are in the red zone.
- A run by Najee brings it to first and goal inside the five. Let’s just run this ball in.
- Najee walks it into the end zone untouched. Touchdown good guys! Steelers 7, Packers 0.
- On third and three the Packers complete it. Can’t fault the coverage there by JPJ, just a nice throw and a nice catch.
- Pass rush can’t get home and eventually there’s wide open gaps in the Steelers soft zone.
- The Packers have driven the ball all the way down to the Steelers 11-yard line. I really would like to see the defense get off the field before letting them get into the end zone.
- Kwan Alexander down on the field. That’s not what the Steelers need at inside linebacker right now.
- And the Steelers defense manages to make all that great work the offense did moot as they give up a touchdown to the terrible Green Bay Packers offense on their first possession of the game. Steelers 7, Packers 7.
- After nearly sending the opening kickoff out of bounds, the Packers send their second kickoff out of bounds and the Steelers take over at the 40.
- Hey, look at that! There’s a catch by Mount Washington.
- Kenny got away with one there. The officials first called it an interception but there is no way this is going to stand as only one foot was even close to being inbounds.
- Steelers end the first quarter by getting into the red zone. Steelers 7, Packers 7.
- Jaylen Warren!!!! Broke open after a nice block from Allen Robinson. Touchdown Steelers. Steelers 14, Packers 7.
- Kwan Alexander questionable to return.
- Benton knocks down the pass.
- The defense holds to a 3 & out. Would have liked to seen that the first possession, but will take it here.
- That was a bad call on a 3rd & 1 quarterback sneak, as it was closer to a yard and a half. The Steelers got stuffed.
- Jalen Warren picks it up on 4th & 1. The drive continues.
- Pickett is holding the ball for too long. If you’re going to escape and try to make other things happen you got to do it sooner.
- On 3rd & 14 the pass goes underneath to Heyward, who comes up just short of the first down.
- Boswell comes out to attempt the field goal. It’s good of course. Steelers 17, Packers 7.
- JBJ was a little early on that and drew the flag.
- Steelers give up a 30-yard run to A.J. Dillon. Not very impressive by the defense.
- Third down and 16 and the Steelers give up a long touchdown throw. We let the defense off the hook way too much on this team. The offense has been doing what they need to do and the defense has not shown up today. Extra point is blocked by Pat Pete. Steelers 17, Packers 13.
- Ant Mac fumbled the kickoff, which led to a poor return out to about the 16-yard line.
- The Steelers got very lucky on that call that it was not a backward pass. I thought it was.
- The offense goes 3 & out. I do not want to hear the defense complain about that as the defense had the chance to get the ball back to the offense with a big lead and instead gave up a touchdown.
- The defense holds and the Packers will punt. The defense scores a 3 & out of their own.
- Back-to-back first down tosses to Johnson and Pickens has the Steelers offense in business.
- After the promising start, the offense stalls and ends up punting it back to the Packers with 1:20 to go in the half.
- Joey Porter Jr just stuck that play.
- That ends the half. Steelers 17, Packers 13. Packers will receive the second half kickoff.
- Steelers give up a huge return to start the second half. So let’s just start off on a great note there. In case you couldn’t tell that was sarcasm.
- The Packers are lining up to go for it on 4th down and six.
- And does anybody want to guess the kind of defense the Steelers were in on that fourth down play? And the Packers convert the fourth down and six.
- The defense gets it to third down and nine again. Can they get off the field and hold to a field goal try?
- The defense does their job on that play and will force a field goal try. It’s good. Steelers 17, Packers 16.
- I just now noticed the pigeons are circling the field. Let’s see if they can play a bigger role than a good Renegade.
- On second down the Steelers get a holding call. That probably has stalled this drive with the way the offense is playing right now.
- A 6 yard pass on 3rd & 18 brought out some boo birds. The offense goes 3 & out again. Uninspired football is what I’m seeing from the Steelers right now.
- There was absolutely no Steelers anywhere near the receiver on that play. I don’t know if I can even call that soft zone.
- I love the fact the Packers on 3rd & 7th motion and everybody can see the Steelers are in zone so they throw it wide open down the middle for a big play to their tight end. The Steelers defense is as bad as their ranking is.
- The Packers end up having to try for a field goal and they take the lead. Packers 19, Steelers 17.
- Back shoulder throw to George Pickens, and I see George Pickens just doing George Pickens things.
- On 3rd & 3 the throw out to Jaylen Warren had a better chance of being a pick 6 then caught by Warren. I agree with the commentators that it appeared Kenny made up his mind where to go with the ball before the ball was even snapped.
- Boswell out to try to give the Steelers the lead again. Is there any question? Steelers 20, Packers 19.
- I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with Boswell. All of his kickoffs have been short today and the Packers have a dangerous return man.
- The Steelers have the Packers facing 3rd & 11 as the third quarter comes to an end. Steelers 20, Packers 19.
- The Packers go for a trick play on 3rd & 11, and it loses yards. Packers to punt.
- Looked at the Steelers formation, I called a running play up the middle and they ran a running play up the middle.
- Big run by Najee on second down. That one goes for 24.
- That play was slow to develop and Kyle was wondering how the Steelers managed to not lose yardage on it.
- Diontae needs to catch that one. Hit him right in the hands.
- On 3rd & 10 Kenny sails the pass over Pickens. The Steelers will punt.
- As the game goes to a commercial break Kyle and I both predict that Renegade will be playing in the stadium during this time out.
- Kyle and I were correct as we hear Renegade playing as the TV goes back to the game.
- The Steelers get it to a 3rd & 2. But it looks like the Packers barely made it and the defense does not get off the field.
- For the second week in a row the stadium goes completely silent after Renegade because the defense can’t do their job.
- The defense is now at 3rd & 7. Can they get off the field?
- After pressure from Elijah Riley, Love throws incomplete and the defense gets off the field.
- Like to see tough run by Jaylen Warren on 2nd & 4 to pick up the first down.
- I thought Jaylen Warren was bottled up and next thing you know he pops out of the jumble of players and gets a big gain.
- On 2nd & 10, swing pass to Najee gets 10.
- After they moved it forward, they are re-spotting the ball well short. That was after the officials motion for the chain gang to move.
- So on 3rd & 2 the Steelers go jumbo package fake it but do the roll out with Kenny to the sideline with one or two guys to throw to and five defenders. When is Canada going to learn that that play doesn’t work?
- Boswell comes out and knocks through the field goal. Steelers 23, Packers 19.
- Need the defense to show up here and get a stop. No points on this drive.
- One play and the Packers are in Steelers territory. The Steelers defense cannot defend the pass and the pass rush is very weak today.
- Chandon Sullivan comes on the blitz and knocks down the Jordan Love pass. Packers face 3rd & 10.
- The pass rush again doesn’t get home or anywhere close, and the Packers take advantage of the extremely weak zone.
- Picked! The ball is tipped and Keanu Neal picked it off in the end zone. Neal is now down after the return.
- Now on a 3rd & 6th we’ll see if the Steelers play in their fears and run the ball.
- Pickett ends up scrambling and picking up a first down.
- Why when the Steelers are trying to run out the clock are we running pitch plays where the running back is catching the ball nine yards deep in the backfield?
- Pickett to Pickens could have ended the game there but Calvin Austin gets called for a pass interference penalty. And it was the right call. It was an obvious penalty.
- The Steelers now run the ball on third down. The Steelers will be able to run the clock close to a minute before they kick it.
- What is the Steelers defense doing to allow a guy to run that wide open that far down the field?
- Alex Highsmith with the pressure. Fourth down for the Packers.
- Three seconds to go. Ball on the 16-yard line, Kyle predicts that the Steelers play weak zone.
- Kazee! Interception! Steelers win! Steelers win!
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with a me and Kyle, you just don’t have to go to another room because of my screaming at the television (sometimes Kyle leaves the room). Now time to process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we move toward, Week 11 and the Brahns. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.
More from Steel Curtain Networkread more
You may also be interested inread more
Steel Curtain Network: A Pittsburgh Steelers podcast
George Pickens and company need to beware the hockey tactics
Steel Curtain Network: A Pittsburgh Steelers podcast
The Steelers will likely win more playoff tiebreakers in 2023 than they did last year